Here at Paul Wood Florist we are enthusiastic about providing quality flowers that will be long lasting once they've left our store, and are in the comfort of your own home or office. Prior to arrival at our store, our flowers have been stored in a special preservative solution. With each of our floral arrangements, specific rose arrangements, and loose cut flowers, we provide a care package with a packet of flower food along with care instructions.
The instructions for pre-arranged flowers include:
1. Check water level of arrangement, add warm water with preservative or flower food as needed. Always keep the water level high in your vase, and if your flowers were arranged in floral foam, keep that saturated as well.
2. Display arrangement in a cool location away from direct away from direct sunlight, and avoid excessive hot or cold areas.
3. Add water with floral preservative daily.
If you choose cut flower stems to put in your own vase the instructions are:
1. Start with a clean vase. You wouldn’t want to drink out of a dirty glass, neither do the flowers!
2. Mix the fresh flower food packet with warm water in the vase.
3. Remove from the stems any foliage that may be below the water line, foliage in the water creates bacteria.
4. Re-cut the stems (at least 1 inch) with a sharp knife or scissors, and immediately place in the vase with flower food.
So why are we so adamant about adding flower food? Flower food is filled with sugar to provide an energy source through carbohydrates which keeps the flowers thriving and healthy. Floral food is also formulated with an acidifier which lowers the pH level of the water, helping the flowers uptake more water as well as its nutrients. Stem unpluggers are also added to flower food, which are a mixture of ingredients that also lower the pH level, and eliminate stem plugging. All of these formulated ingredients will provide you with thriving, long lasting flowers!
Visit this link to view a video on the proper care and handling of your flowers!